PHYS 7733: Topics: Elementary Particle Physics and Cosmology
Lecture - 4 credits
- Covers unified theories including evidence for supersymmetric SU(5) unification of couplings, and the grand unified scale and proton decay.
- Discusses particle physics and cosmology including a brief introduction to Einstein's theory of general relativity, candidates for dark matter, inflation and the primordial fluctuations, and the problem of the cosmological constant.
- Examines developments leading to string theory including normal mode expansion; open and closed strings; deduction of D-26 for bosonic and D-10 for superstrings; scattering amplitudes in strings; heterotic string; compactifications on the torus, orbifolds, and Calabi-Yau manifolds; 4-D strings; and superstring phenomenology.
- Explores physics with extra dimensions including gravity at small distances, branes, and new approaches to the hierarch problem.
- May be repeated without limit.
Covers unified theories including evidence for supersymmetric SU(5) unification of couplings, and the grand unified scale and proton decay. Show more.