ME 7285: Heat Conduction and Thermal Radiation
Lecture - 4 credits
- Emphasizes analytical techniques in conduction and radiative transfer.
- Topics include formulation of steady- and unsteady-state one-dimensional and multidimensional heat conduction problems, solution techniques for linear problems including the method of separation of variables, Laplace transforms and integral transforms, approximate analytical methods, phase change problems, and nonlinear problems.
- Offers an introduction to thermal radiation heat transfer including the electromagnetic background of radiation, nature of thermal radiation, radiation intensity, black body intensity, and radiation through nonparticipating media.
- Discusses the fundamentals of radiation in absorbing, emitting, and scattering media including the equation of radiative transfer with methods of solution, pure radiative transfer in participating media, and interaction of radiation with conduction and/or convection.
- Requires undergraduate heat transfer course.
Emphasizes analytical techniques in conduction and radiative transfer. Show more.