MATH 2201: History of Mathematics
Lecture - 4 credits
- Traces the development of mathematics from its earliest beginning to the present.
- Emphasis is on the contributions of various cultures including the Babylonians, Egyptians, Mayans, Greeks, Indians, and Arabs.
- Computations and constructions are worked out using the techniques and notations of these peoples.
- The role of mathematics in the development of science is traced throughout, including the contributions of Descartes, Kepler, Fermat, and Newton.
- More modern developments are discussed as time permits.
Traces the development of mathematics from its earliest beginning to the present. Show more.