Health Sci - Interdisciplinary
HLTH 5002: Mindfulness: Theory and Practice
Lecture - 3 credits
- Studies key aspects of theory and practical principles of mindfulness practice.
- Mindfulness is a particular way of paying attention to experiences that has been scientifically researched and found to decrease habitual and destructive cycles of thought and emotion.
- This course is highly experiential and daily homework practice consists of at least 20 minutes of mindfulness practice.
- Instructions for the various practices are provided throughout the course.
- Each class typically includes a didactic portion, a mindfulness practice, and a group discussion.
- The benefits of mindfulness practice include reduced stress, improved attention, reduced emotional reactivity, and greater mind-body awareness.
- Offers students an opportunity to develop practical skills of relational mindfulness in interactions with others and to cultivate positive emotions.
Studies key aspects of theory and practical principles of mindfulness practice. Show more.