English as Scnd Lng - CPS Spec
ESLG 0234: Culture and Communication Skills for Graduate School
Lecture - 4 credits
- Offers international students an opportunity to develop listening, note-taking, and discussion skills while expanding their knowledge of American social issues.
- As international students prepare for graduate-level study, they need to understand the sociological foundations of American society and how these form the background to their communications in the American academic environment.
- Applies a critical-thinking approach to authentic lectures and readings on topics including peer pressure, gender roles, and the influence of the media.
- Students have an opportunity to develop the ability to generate and articulate opinions clearly and accurately, engage with others in discussion using appropriate levels of politeness and formality, investigate their own and others' interaction styles, practice techniques for effective communication, and integrate cultural knowledge into their interactions with others.
- May be repeated up to two times.
Offers international students an opportunity to develop listening, note-taking, and discussion skills while expanding their knowledge of American social issues. Show more.