Coop/Exper Ed - Science
EESC 3000: Values, Ethics, and Professionalism in the Sciences
Lecture - 4 credits
- Designed to help students pursuing a science education to begin developing a coherent professional identity.
- Students examine, articulate, and defend their professional values and use concurrent reflection exercises to create action steps to reach multiple long-term professional goals.
- Examines ethical dilemmas in science fields in-depth.
- Offers students an opportunity to learn and utilize theoretical ethical frameworks to discuss a series of case studies and overlay existing ethical codes established by their fields’ governing organizations.
- Students create novel case studies based on real-world events and extrapolate these ethical conversations into the “big ethical and moral issues” facing their fields in the near future (genetic engineering, energy production, etc.).
- Focuses on the value of lifelong learning through reflective practice, mentorship, professional organizations and conferences, and leadership opportunities in the field.
Designed to help students pursuing a science education to begin developing a coherent professional identity. Show more.